Shakeology - your resource to jump start your diet and get you looking great in time for summer

Thursday, May 21, 2009

In the emotion


Have you ever wondered why you can make a commitment one day and fall apart the next?

I have wondered the same thing many times. Recently I was listening to an audio book, Predictably Irrational. The book explained that when you are emotionally detached from a topic you can make smart, rational decisions.

But as soon as you layer on emotion, our ability to make rational decisions falls apart.

For example, have you ever made a commitment to go on a diet and really truly meant it? Then just hours or days later, when out with friends, you see everyone having dessert and decide, "Oh, well, I'll start my diet tomorrow." As soon as the emotion of being with friends and enjoying yourself came into play, you caved.

That is just what happened to me today. All week I was saying to myself that I can run/walk a 5k in under 35 minutes. I could see myself doing it. I knew I only had to shave 40 seconds off my time to make it. I felt sure success would be mine when I got on the treadmill.

Then...I got on the treadmill. I started running and boy was it not working for me. After two minutes I was telling myself, "Well, it's been two weeks since you ran last." Followed by, "Boy it's hot in here." I didn't think I could make another minute.

In fact I stopped. After all it was hot and I needed to take my tee-shirt off (never mind, I was catching my breath at the same time.) So I started again in my running shirt, now cooler and caught up on my breath.

Another six minutes and the talk started again. "You really can't expect to make it under 35 minutes. After all, it has been two weeks since you ran last."

Then I realized what I was doing. I was rationalizing my lack of commitment now that I was experiencing the emotion of how tough it was going to be. I reminded myself how angry and guilty I would feel if I gave up.

But boy was I tired. I started walking for about 15 seconds. Then the thoughts really kicked in. If you give up this easily, you are a total wimp. Start running!

I pushed myself and played mental games continuously. In the end I decided to take it minute by minute. Run a minute + just ten more seconds. Then walk. Guilt. Run another minute + just ten more seconds. Then walk. And on it went.

In the end, I finished the 5k in 34 minutes and 40 seconds. I did it!

Let the victory dance begin. Now the talk became, "I knew I could do it. I just needed to get past those first few minutes." Yeah - who am I kidding, I struggled the whole way through.

But I did it. So the tidbit I am passing on to you is - yes it is tough to stick to a commitment. Yes, it may down right "suck" the entire time. But in the end, if you did it, you get to do the victory dance (and in my case, eat a nice dish of soy ice cream) afterward.

The alternative, is more guilt and more negative self talk. No thank you.

Try it. Even though it hurts, it only hurts for a short time. The time on the treadmill, the time it takes to say "no thanks" at the restaurant. These are mere minutes. Just be strong for those few minutes and you get to feel good for a whole lot longer. Try it!

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

No comments:

Post a Comment